Monday Update: New Jersey lawmakers postponed an expected vote on a bill to eliminate most religious exemptions for vaccines for schoolchildren saying they lacked the votes ABC reported.
It appears State Senate President Stephen Sweeney was short one vote.
To restart this bill, they would need to start all over again with hearings, votes and all the drama that surrounds it.
Poskim and Gedolim were against the bill, even though they were pro vaccines – read the detailed explanation, analysis & more below.
Previously reported on GL:
Three weeks after hundreds of protesters came to Trenton to protest a bill aimed to remove the religious exemption on vaccinations
The New Jersey Senate committees voted already last month to advance a bill that would remove the religious exemption on vaccines. The bill comes following a measles outbreak in Orthodox Jewish areas. Fact is most Orthodox Jews vaccinate. In Lakewood, estimates have it at over 95% of the population. Additionally, most leading Rabbinic leaders require vaccinations however a few oppose – most notably Harav Malkiel Kotler and Harav Elya Ber Wachtfogel.
Regardless, Pro Vaccination Rabbanim are against this bill noting once we allow the Government to remove religious exemptions, we never know where it can end. (What will stop them from halting security funding for schools or institutions with separate seating etc…)
Harav Shmuel Meir Katz, of BMG’s senior poskim, spent his day in Trenton at the hearing in opposition to the bill.
Dr. Rich Roberts came in in support of the bill – against the ruling of leading Gedolim and the Agudah – whose official policy is extremely pro-vaccination.
Avi Schnall of the Agudah’s NJ branch strongly opposed the bill and when New York was contemplating removing the religious exemption, the Agudah, whose official policy is to vaccinate, released a letter against the bill.
The NJ Assembly passed the bill eliminating the religious exemption from vaccines. However, the State Senate was short a vote or two forcing them to postpone the vote. The bill was postponed till Jan 9th.
Now it appears the bill has enough votes to pass – with one key change.
The change will allow private schools and daycare centers the right to accept children who aren’t vaccinated, as long as they keep a count of how many kids are unvaccinated.
GL spoke with an activist who said “this really makes no sense” explaining, “what’s the purpose of this bill if people can anyways choose not to vaccinate” concluding perhaps it’s a two-step plan, “First they find out a record of who is not vaccinated and then a couple of years later they sent letters to the schools and pass another bill to exclude those kids.”
State Senate President Stephen Sweeney was determined to get this bill passed. “We’re either going to get it done now or we’re going to get it done in the next session, but by all means this is getting done,” Sweeney told NorthJersey.com. “It’s the right health care policy and it’s based on science, unlike what [the protesters are] chanting and saying. They have a right to their opinion.”
The discussion of allowing non-vaccinated children into school is a similar but different topic which we will not address in this article.
- GL Exclusive: Anti-Vaxxers responses – Part 1
- MEASLES: Bill proposed to allow minors get vaccinated at 14 against parents will
- Monsey Anti Vaxxer event – Video & stats
- READ: The Agudah SLAMS the Monsey Anti-vaxxer event
- EPIC MOVE: Anti-vaxxer event in Brooklyn will have 4 photographers snapping pics of every person
- TIMES SQUARE BILLBOARD: “96% Of Hasidim vaccinate”
- Monsey Pro-Vaxxer event had under 150 people
- Facebook takes on Anti-Vaxxers
- R’ Elya Brudny on vaccinations, compilation of letters from Rabbanim – to vaccinate
- Senator Menendez takes on Facebook for allowing Anti-Vax material
- MEASLES IN MONSEY: 247 Confirmed cases
- MEASLES RECORD: CDC records 971 this year already
- MEASLES RECORD: Over 1,000 cases recorded
- Rockland County requests Trump’s help in measles battle
- MEASLES: Health dept closes down Yeshiva Of Central Queens
- LIVE: WATCH – CHAOS & DRAMA: Anti-Vaxxer event in Monsey, Buses go from Lakewood
- Satmar Rebbe & R’ Elya Ber met physicians to discuss vaccinations, read what happened
- New shidduch question should be “do you vaccinate?”
- UPDATE: Dr Rich Roberts Publishes Brochures Stressing The Importance Of Vaccinations, cost 110K
- BOLD: Satmar in Monsey Expels Unvaccinated Kids, Hires security guards
Comments to this story have been disabled